Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Textured Canvas

G'day

I found this cool challenge blog called The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.  How awesome. I have not made a canvas in a while and when I came across this challenge I thought why not, I have stencils and modelling paste.

Love the rules too, can create up to 5 creations and create whatever you want and combine with any number of challenges, awesome.

Here is my mixed media canvas


I used distress inks (spiced marmalade and broken china - throughout the whole design of the canvas) for the background water color (smeared onto craft sheet, spritzed water and picked up with canvas, until desired look, not much with the canvas, maybe i should have painted it with gesso first, not sure).  Stamped on the sentiments (stamplorations - artful flutters) with broken china. Added some more stamps of leaves, small flowers, circles and birds.

 
I used the stencil (KaiserCraft) and white modelling paste to create a textured and raised pattern all over the canvas.  I positioned the stencil so the main design was in the center and the rest going of the canvas.  I love how the distress ink colors come through the modelling paste as it fully dries. Love this stencil as it shows swirls in the background after embellishments are added. I think this stencil gives the canvas an elegant look. 

 

Once the stencil design was dry, I thought it was too bright (but it still looked good this way too), so I sponged some spiced marmalade and broken china over the raised area. Still too light.  I was thinking of tissue paper ( I used this before to add more colour to a canvas with modelling paste)  So I sponged the tissue paper with spiced marmalade, broken china and aged mahogany, spritzed with water and heat dried, then glued it onto the whole canvas.

Then I started adding dimensional stuff, like die cut leaves, stamped and cut out butterfly, punched out dragonfly and tree and paper flowers, the sentiments stamped on banner with broken china.  For some added shine and bling I added blue jewels and copper/gold glitter paint.

 
The whole design of the canvas reminds me of the outdoors, mostly traveling the countryside, the birds, the free leaves floating in the air and the beauty of so many different trees.  I also love the sentiment words, imagine, dream and believe.  This goes through my mind sitting in the car as the scenery goes by.


Inks Used :-
ranger distress ink - spiced marmalade, broken china, aged mahogany,
versafine - onyx black
Paints Used:-ranger distress paint - peeled pain

Paste - mont marte modelling paste
Stencil - kaisercraft  12x12 damask
Die Cuts - mpress 3 in 1 nesting dies leaves (used in cuttlebug)
Glitter - mont marte - glitter paint gold/copper

Stamps Used:-
stamplorations - vignette:artful flutters, thankful grateful,
kaisercraft - weekdays, hummingbird
fiskars - friendly flowers
inkadinkado - circle and dots


I would like to enter this canvas into the following challenges :-

The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge -
august #3 stencils with modelling paste
STAMPlorations Blog - august challenge stamps and die cuts



Thank you for stopping by
cya soon MOnika

5 comments:

  1. What a cool Mixed Media canvas! It was interesting to read how you did it. Great use of STAMPlorations stamps too. Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome canvas! I really love the textured background with those words showing through. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful canvas! Love al the details and textures. Thanks for sharing this with us and thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge "Stencils and Pastes"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely canvas and I love the memories it brings to you. so glad you found our challenge and that you're enjoying it! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the layers. Simply beautiful. Thanks for joining the August Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete